Thursday, March 8, 2012

Food You Don't Understand


Going to the grocery is easy.  Figuring out what is what can tax your imagination. 

Oftentimes, packaging helps, but not always.  Meat looks a lot like other meat, and for us who try to eat in the Levitical manner, avoiding pork takes some effort.  We have only been to one restaurang (Swedish word) that had English menys (menus).

Last week in the Vietnamese restaurant, I asked if the meat was pork.  The cook/manager/owner(?) asked me if I ate pork.  When I said, “no” she hurried back into the kitchen and prepared some delicious beef just for me.

So far we have never found (or at least identified):
  • Powdered coffee creamer (though they have some good liquid creamer).
  • Corn meal.
  • Great Value branded anything (Wal-Marts don’t seem to have arrived…yet).
What we have found:
  • Moose meat (delicious).
  • Potatoes of all kinds.
  • Lots of fisk (fish).
  • Liquid Yogurt.
We also found shopping carts that take 5 Kr to release, then give you back your coin when you return the cart.

There's a new princess, so here's her cake!
Escargot, wow!
You weigh your veggies and the scale gives you a label to put on the bag.
Grocery store w a hotdog stand!





These were from a flower shop, but too pretty NOT to include.








What we realize of course, is that Svensbo have lived very happily without stuff we think we need, and we have gotten fat eating stuff they can’t get.  Costs are high for everything, especially food, and portion sizes are smaller, both of which perhaps contribute to a thinner, healthier populace.

It strikes me that many of the “things” in my life that I can’t live without are never thought of in other parts of the world.  Money, time and energy spent on one thing is not available to be spent on another.  Choices are requisite.

Which of the things in my life am I choosing over genuine Christianity?

No comments:

Post a Comment