Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The Great Temptation: Over-Worked and Under-Prayed


The place where I (Phil) work every day has the hardest working group of people I have seen anywhere in my looong life.

Friday, as I was leaving at 5:45 PM, I saw KG.  

“Heading home?” I asked.

“No, we have data collection this evening and tomorrow (i.e. Saturday) morning.”




Wow, I have worked on Saturday, when necessary, but this seems fairly routine here.  No matter how late I leave work, I am only rarely the last to leave.  On the occasions I have stopped by on the weekend, there has always been someone there.  In fact, the only time I am alone is early in the morning.  Apparently I am about the only morning person around.

But, these are ambitious people.  One young guy aspires to a cover-featured article in the journal NATURE, which is no easy feat.  

"Aim high!" the pundits tell us.

And, fame, fortune, recognition are universal desires, at least in the most-developed nations of the world.
But, is this progress?

“For what doth it profit a man to gain the whole world and lose his own soul?  Or what will a man give for a soul.”  

I know someone famous said that, I just can’t remember who.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment