Thursday, March 29, 2012

Trees



“I think that I shall never see, a poem as lovely as a tree.” (from Trees by Joyce Kilmer).
I (Phil) love trees.  I think that’s why I like hunting so much, there are so many trees in the woods.






I have been quite impressed with the trees here in Jamtland.  Pines, spruce, and birch are abundant. The birches are one of the handsomest trees in the world.  We saw in the Jamtli museum that the old-timers used to tap them, just like they do sugar maples in the NE USA.
Trees do remarkable things.  They take in carbon dioxide and produce oxygen.  They pump water, which is really quite heavy, from their roots to their tip top, sometimes more than a hundred feet.

Trees are not G^d’s most impressive creation, but they are a testimony to His creativity, artistry, and majesty.
“A tree that looks at God all day,          And lifts her leafy arms to pray” (from Trees).
Oh, that I could be more like a tree.  (see Ps 1).

No comments:

Post a Comment