Saturday, March 17, 2012

What mid-Sweden and The Wicked Witch have in Common II



 Neat snow sculptures that didn't last a full day.

 In the next pict, see the bike?  What's that doing there.


In the Frank Baum classic, the Wizard of Oz, the wicked witch said something we can relate to,
“I’m melting.”

Indeed, we are in a virtual (wait, that word doesn’t mean what it used to mean) heat wave.  I heard a local guy say that a record high temp was set yesterday in southern Sweden.

Today, for the first time in the month that we have been here, we saw street surfaces.  Wow! There is something under that ice and snow.

On my walk to work, I noticed that the street keepers had chiseled out holes above the drains to allow melt to escape into the sewers.   The sand I mention in a later post, is now aggregated into a pretty good layer.  I was right about the perils of using too much sand.


It was so warm that I was tempted to ask a local stranger if winter was over.  I didn’t do it, but asked my boss about it this morning.  “No,” he said, “winter is not over here until the end of March!”
On the walk in this morning, I found a 1Kr coin.  It had lay hidden in the snow, for one day, one week, three months?  Now it was uncovered by the melting snow.

Snow does cover up, it obscures.  But, eventually the sun wins out and the snow melts.

Hmm, reminds me of my own sin.

I can cover it up, but eventually the SON shines through, the snow melts and I am exposed.  

Thanks be to G^d that we are covered, not by snow, but by blood.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent applications! Encouraging at times... convicting at others... always insightful!

    ReplyDelete