Monday, August 5, 2013

Enjoy Your Raw Beef!



Raw Food
We eat a lot of raw food:  Fruit, vegetables, salads, horse, beef, elk kidney.
I am one of those crude, unsophisticated eaters that chefs hate.  I like my steaks… well done.  Seriously.  If you are going to go to the trouble of cooking something, over-cook it (recall Bishop motto: If it’s worth doing, it’s worth over-doing).
Why it will be dry and tough if you over-cook it.  Yep, and that’s the way I like it.  Everybody is different.

Being an unsophisticated crude eater, I don’t really go for pasta.  We were given a complimentary lunch to make amends for our flight mess-up, and the menu had 3 items; two pastas and one steak tartar.

Had I been paying, I would not have done it.  But with Air France footing the bill, steak tartar it was.  Now picture this.  A fellow about my age had ordered the same thing and we saw them deliver about a pound of raw ground beef with a raw egg yolk on top.  The customer went crazy.  He called the waitress over and complained.  This isn’t steak he said, and it’s raw!

Yes, tartar= uncooked,   He wouldn’t even try it, eating a few fries than standing there for about 15 min to complain about his raw ground beef.

I was amazed at how bland raw beef is.  It had almost no taste except for the garnishes.  I tried a little French Mustard and that added a lot.  It came with a salad and a small order of fries.  Not a bad meal, if you were willing to try it.

I am not so sure why we are usually so reluctant to try new things, especially after we have had a few birthdays.  I wouldn’t have tried it, were it not free.

G^d sometimes gives us new challenges.   Sometimes he stretches us.  Try it, you might like it.

But I still want my steaks well done.

1 comment:

  1. "Bishop motto: If it’s worth doing, it’s worth over-doing"
    Wow! That's my unofficial motto too! Am inspired to go eat a cow now, somehow.

    ReplyDelete