Tuesday, August 27, 2013

The Quest that Didn't make the Lord of the Rings

While at the cave, my best camera, the Nikon, fell out of my pocket onto the sand.  It had been acting up a bit, but this did it in.  When we got home I asked Bob, the source of most key info, about where to take it for repairs.  He sent us to the Kodak store near Lesedi, and I knew how to get there.

We took our camera in, and the Chinese proprietor gave us a nice business card and told us to go to African Mall and then call the camera guy to find his place.

We get to African Mall with no trouble.  We get out and look for the sign.  No sign is visible.  No problem, we ask a lady standing there for directions.  She has no idea and refers us to friendly looking guys, who refer us to another guy who looks at the address and sends us back out to Independence Ave, where we had just come from.

Go figure, I guess the Kodak guy was wrong.

We drive down independence looking for plot 787.  Oddly enough the numbers are going down on the left side of the street, but increasing on the right side of the street.  We call the camera guy and he says that his shop is right by Barcelo's Restaurant.  That should be easy to find.  We drive the entire length of Independence and we NEVER find plot 787 or even the 700 block.  We also don't find Barcelo's.  We call back to ask again.

"I'm in African Mall." says the camera store guy.  Where I ask, he says I am ABOVE Barcelo's.  Where's that?  He really can't tell us, just tells us to come to African Mall, where we were 40 minutes earlier.

Finally we spot Barcelo's about 40 feet from where we first stopped.  After some searching we figure out how to get to the floor above Barcelo's.  It doesn't look all that promising, but we ahve no choice so I forge ahead.

At last, there it is:  a tiny little sheet of paper with "Digital Camera" printed on it.  I knock tentatively and a guy invites us in.  I make a deposit, get a receipt and leave our camera.



Two days later, the guy calls to tell us it is ready.  Wow!  One issue is that the camera has a lot of sand inside,but also replaced the processor.  All is less than 48 hours.


I was impressed and told him so.  On the other hand, we may have been one of his few customers, because his place is so hard to find!

Matt 7:7 gives some great advice, "“Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you."

Now if I would only do what Scripture tells me to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment