Sunday, August 25, 2013

Spending the Night in a Cave





Kalahari Rest Lodge has the neatest Lodging we have seen.   When we arrived they first told us that they had no space free.  Then on second thought, they asked if we were interested in the tent they called, “The Cave”.  

Hmmm, odd name for a tent, And then we knew why they called it that.  Here’s the cave.






It was a unique place to stay.  It was quite spacious and included an indoor toilet and shower.  The main part of the tent had a large wardrobe.  There were two outer cave rooms, one with a bar, the other with a fireplace.  First tent with a fireplace (not a heater or stove) I have ever seen.

Hot water was supplied by this “donkey boiler” heated by a wood fire, lit by lodge personnel.  The water was already hot at 0600.

Our refuge brings to mind this interesting story in 1 Samuel 24:


And he came to the sheepcotes by the way where there was a cave, and Saul went in [c]to do his easement: and David and his men sat in the [d]inward parts of the cave.
And the men of David said unto him, See, the day is [e]come, whereof the Lord said unto thee, Behold, I will deliver thine enemy into thine hand, and thou shalt do to him as it shall seem good to thee. Then David arose and cut off the lap of Saul’s garment privily.
And afterward David [f]was touched in his heart, because he had cut off the lap which was on Saul’s garment.
And he said unto his men, The Lord keep me from doing that thing unto my master the Lord’s anointed, to lay mine hand upon him: for he is the Anointed of the Lord.
So David overcame his servants with these words, and suffered them not to arise against Saul: for Saul rose up out of the cave and went away.
¶ David also arose afterward, and went out of the cave, and cried after Saul, saying, O my lord the King. And when Saul looked behind him, David inclined his face to the earth, and bowed himself.
10 And David said to Saul, [g]Wherefore givest thou an ear to men’s words, that say, Behold, David seeketh evil against thee?
11 Behold, this day thine eyes have seen, that the Lord had delivered thee this day into mine hand in the cave, and some bade me kill thee, but I had compassion on thee, and said, I will not lay mine hand on my master: for he is the Lord’s Anointed.
12 Moreover my father, behold: behold, I say, the lap of thy garment in mine hand: for when I cut off the lap of thy garment, I killed thee not. Understand and see, that there is neither evil nor wickedness in me, neither have I sinned against thee, yet thou huntest after my soul, to take it.


David was just echoing G^d's mercy towards him.  L^rd help us to do the same.


1 comment: