Wednesday, October 9, 2013

African Toilets

In the Middle East the slit toilet, or "Squatty potty" strikes us westerners as a bit odd.  Once you get used to the idea, you find it not so odd.

Toilets here, though quite the conventional type are a new experience as well.  I have photographed several toilets here, not in use at the time.  The key thing about toilets here is that there is often no toilet paper in the women's rooms, I am told, and there is sometimes not any means for drying your hands.
Though we couldn't find out the date for the above bathroom, it belonged to one of Managers at the Big Hole Diamond Mine claims in Kimberley.  It most likely dates from the 1880s, and seems very nice.  Note the hot water and shower!  The mining ceased in 1914, so it must date earlier than that.

But the other remarkable thing is the number of men going to the bathroom in plain sight.  I (Phil) have seen this around the world, but never so often, and so obvious, as here in southern Africa.  No one seems to object, or even take notice.  I guess this is appropriate.

When in Rome...
Notice that I said "remarkable", not "bad".  In two instances on our long drive, I found this custom to be quite useful.

Maybe we in the West are the ones who have it wrong.


3 comments:

  1. Are you kidding me? I thought all guys RACED to get outside to pee. David goes out and I tell him we ain't in the woods anymore and he better watch out....but alas, he must go as called.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seeing you do this in Africa adds a whole new dimension to the phrase, "You can take the boy out of the country, but you can take the country out of the boy."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, a man's gotta do... well what a man's gotta do!

    ReplyDelete