Thursday, January 24, 2013

A “Non-denominational” Prayer



My department recently held its annual Christmas dinner.  My wife and I enjoy these and go every year.  With the retirement of our senior Christian a few years back, it has fallen to me to offer the token prayer before the meal.

First, I must say that I am very pleased that we do offer a prayer.  Our University, and our College are not known as bastions of religion, particularly Christianity.  I also acknowledge that I feel honored to be the one called upon for this Christian activity.

I was first called upon three years back, in an emergency manner, when the host realized that my Senior Christian Colleague was missing at the meal.  A request was made that I offer a non-denominational (what was meant was a non-sectarian) prayer.  I replied that I would be happy to pray the only way I knew how.  Desperate for someone they assented.

I missed last year’s dinner due to a conference.   This year, I was asked well in advance to offer a non-denominational (non-sectarian) prayer, and I quickly agreed.

When I was called upon to pray as the first function of the meal, I prayed in a loud voice this short prayer,

“Baruch Atah Adonai, Eloheinu Melech Ha’Olam, Sh’hecheyanu, V’Kiyemanu, V’Higianu LaZman HaZeh.” (Blessed be You, the Eternal One our God, Ruler of the Cosmos, who has kept us alive, sustained us, and enabled us to reach this moment.

I then went on translate the prayer into English, to thank G^d for the opportunity to work in such a nice setting enjoying such a great job with great peopel.  I, of course, ended “in the name of Jesus, we pray.”

The reactions were fantastic.

“Was that Hebrew?”

The dean was pleased.   "Wow, you started with Hebrew, and ended “in the name of Jesus”, you covered everything but Islam, but Ali wasn’t here, so that’s OK."

“Yeah, had he been here I would have added an ‘insha’Allah’ and a ‘Mash’allah’, I replied.

So what?

The Hebrew prayer is a great one that any Christian should be happy to pray.  The prayer ended, as it should, recognizing the powerful name above all names, the one through whom we ought to pray.

At best, it is an illustration of a useful tactic, complying with the request in such a way that honors Jesus.  How can I do any better than that?

No comments:

Post a Comment