Monday, January 14, 2013

Parenthood

Over Christmas holidays we reviewed VHS tapes of home movies from 1991-92.  Wow!  How did we ever survive with one 15 year old, and 4 kids under 10 ?

The tapes had some humor, especially because all 5 kids survived to adulthood.  A sane person would have likely guessed against that in 1992.  The chaos, the noise, the action was reminiscent of a professional wrestling show.  Wow, again!

There we were, apparently calm.  What were we thinking?  Weren't we even remotely aware of the chaos?  How could we do this day after day, week after week, month after month?

My wife and I have always noted that Ps 127 mentions, "...blessed are the children of one's youth."  We have joked that the word "youth" is a key term.  That word is SERIOUS.

G^d has blessed us with a great, large, happy family.  This is not all that common, which is why we thank G^d for it, taking no credit.

"The fruit of the womb is a reward.  Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, So are the children of one's youth."  Ps 127: 3-4

Indeed.

4 comments:

  1. I am overwhelmed by the chaos daily. When I step on a Hotwheel or find a rogue Cheerio folded into my laptop, I wonder about the days to come. Will I miss these times? Will I look back longingly on the chaos? It is usually at this point that I realize I can't hear myself think any more and stop my pondering to dole out some discipline or answer an urgent question about cheating and the rules of Go Fish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW, I remember your household in 1992 and I'm not surprised they survived-a model family. I am, however, impressed that a VHS tape survived.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phil - A very lovely family indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice family! Congrats on the new little ones!
    There is a reason why we should have our children when we are young! :)

    ReplyDelete