Sunday, January 13, 2013

English Use, 1000 ways to mess up!

On the tv show, "How I Met Your Mother", Marshall cannot tolerate the misuse of "affect" and "effect".  I am happy the writers included this, because I think many people can relate to it.  I do.

English must be one of the most challenging languages to learn, second only to Japanese.  In English we have rules, but we violate these, even in correct usage.  Plus, English has a HUGE vocabulary.  There are lots of words borrowed from other languages.  And, there are plenty of ways to say the same thing.  You can convey a similar message in a variety of ways.  You can communicate a given message using multiple wordings.  You can speak or write identical information in a plenitude of motifs.  I guess you got my point.

Here are a few of my favorite misuses in order:

  1. The word "unique" NEVER takes a modifier.  Something cannot be:
  • more,
  • less,
  • very, or
  • extremely 
unique.

    2.  The phrase "begging the question" is a logical fallacy that describes assuming the concluding point as part of your argument.  It does NOT mean, "This raises the question."  There are perfectly good ways to say, "This bring up the question", but "begging the question" is not the way to say this.


I'm with Marshall on tv, I hate to see "effect" and "affect" misused, but I can't distinguish between them in most speech, so that doesn't bug me so much.

Clearly, English mistakes are not sinful.  The fact that I am irritated with misusage speaks more to my own egotism and sinful judgmental attitude than it does to the speakers.

I believe I am not alone in this.  Most of us are pretty judgmental.  BUT, it is important for us to realize that we are not appointed as Language judges, or any other kind of judge (assuming there are no courtroom judges reading this).  When I realize HOW MUCH I have been, and will be, forgiven, I feel a little less inclined to judge others.

"This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief."  I Tim 1:15

Now that begs the question, am I very unique on this?


2 comments:

  1. There are two things that really bug me, and I want to share them with you so you can use them each time you speak to me. (Do I have your number, or what?). The first: irregardless. ARRRGHHHHH.
    The second: Whupped. It's whipped. Irregardless of what you think.

    ReplyDelete