Saturday, January 26, 2013

G^d on Trial

The brilliant C.S. Lewis (a professor, by the way) made a brilliant observation.  He noted that historically humanity approached G^d as their judge with themselves on trial.  Modern man has reversed the roles.  Now G^d is the one on trial, with mankind as the judge.

Despite that I believe that mankind is neither progressing nor regressing, the human ego apparently has continued to expand, thus explain why humanity would be so eager to assume the role of judge.

I can clearly relate to this flaw.  I express it with all my being.  I get help from my Professorial colleagues.  I have trouble not imagining myself giving counsel to G^d.  Pride is the sin that caused the Fall, and ties in most other sin.  Pride=ego=pride.  I have a pride problem.

I and my colleagues have some interrogatories for G^d in the dock:
  • 1) What's up with pain?  Why?
  • 2) If You (G^d) are good, why do little kids die of cancer?
  • 3) What's up with bad interpersonal relationships?
  • 4) Why don't you do things more like I would do them if I were G^d?
  • 5) Why is Christianity so miraculous, strange, difficult, demanding?

Good questions, eh?

I'm so smart.  If I were G^d, I'd take care of these things, and leave no answered questions.  I'm so smart.

Did I mention how smart I am?

See what I mean about the ego/pride thing.






No comments:

Post a Comment