Sunday, January 6, 2013

What's your vote for the LEAST popular Scripture?

"What is you favorite verse?" is a common question among Bible aficionados.

I think an interesting question, perhaps a bit more interesting is, "What is your least favorite verse?"

Take a minute to think of your own choice for "least favorite", it might be instructive.








My nomination for "least favorite" is John 16:33b.  Anyone memorize that one?


"In this world you will have trouble." (Jn 16:33b)

We didn't get involved with Christianity to have trouble, we got involved to get OUT of trouble.  Didn't the evangelist promise me that if I came to Christ, all my troubles would be over?  

Now, because of Christianity, I have qualms of conscience, I have a personal compulsion to express gratitude; some faculty colleagues don't even like me, because I am a Christian.  I didn't sign on for this.

"But take heart!" (Jn 16:33b)

Whoa, things aren't going so well for me at this moment.  What do you mean "take heart"?

"I (Jesus) have overcome the world.”  (Jn 16:33b)

Then why do I still have trouble?   Is trouble a good thing?  Could it be that the law of opposites works again?  Could it be that the more trouble I have the more I can look to the "LIFE to come"?
Can I have faith, that this "For momentary, light affliction is producing for us an eternal weight of glory far beyond all comparison...?" (2 Corinth. 4:17).

"...Help Thou my unbelief!"  (Mk 9:24)

1 comment:

  1. I don't like the ones that say it will be a bad thing to be pregnant or nursing in the last days.

    ReplyDelete