Tuesday, January 22, 2013

That tightness in the pit of my Stomach

Today Brenda hauled me to the BHM airport to begin the long, long flights to Gaborone, Botswana.  I have flown many times, traveled thousands and thousands of miles, under all sorts of conditions.  I have been stranded by 9-11, hurricanes, and volcanoes.  Despite all this, generally speaking all has gone remarkably smoothly, remarkably.

So here I go again.  I feel that little bit of stress in my stomach.  I have never been to Botswana, but I have my boss and an HR person to meet me at the airport.  This is not common for me.  Often I am on my own.

To save your time, I'll get to the issue.  I have NO reason whatsoever to be stressed.

Yet, I am stressed.

I do not feel a lot of stress yet, but I expecting it.

How to deal with stress in my low-stress culture?  I take great comfort that G^d is Sovereign.  It take greater comfort in knowing that regardless of what may happen:

Heaven is a lovely place and my future home.
Life is short, even if we live to an old, old age.
G^d can better take care of my family and friends than I ever could.

An unusual Scripture comes to mind,  "Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell."  (Matt 10:28)

A better Scripture would be, Deut 31:8,  "The LORD is the one who goes ahead of you; He will be with you. He will not fail you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed."

Knowing is one thing, now to the much harder task of doing...


No comments:

Post a Comment