Thursday, January 31, 2013

What's the Greatest?


In about 1974 I was sent to USAF survival school in Ridgely, ME.  We had to dig a hole in the ground to spend our first night in the field.  Supposedly that would keep the "enemy" searchers from finding us.  They gave us almost no food, to the point that, when I caught a small black snake, everyone insisted on cooking it.  Our next task was to run 5-6 miles up and down mountains, supposedly to elude the "enemy" looking for us.  The enemy had the advantage of knowing where we were coming form, and where we trying to go.  

Needless to say, we were eventually "captured" and put into POW camp.  In POW camp we were harassed, sleep deprived another night, and tortured (mildly and harmlessly, but nerve-wracking-ly).  We had no food and little water.

Finally, the exercise was ended.  I was dirty, hungry, exhausted and relieved, and I only really wanted ONE thing...

Yes, a hot shower with lots of soap.

That was 40 years ago, and I spared you a great many details that I recall clearly (e.g. I didn't mention the Bible, the US flag, the questioning, the escape attempt).  It does amaze me that my top priority was the shower.

I recall running the Atlanta Marathon in about 1980 or so, in the spitting snow and light cold rain.  I was wearing too little clothing and my hands were extremely cold at the finish.  When the hot shower hit them, I almost vomited at the pain.  Still the shower was terrific.

Here in Botswana, most everything is different,  but the hot shower is still delightful.


Kind of reminds me of those verses:

Ps 51:2 Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity And cleanse me from my sin.
1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
1 John 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin. 
1 Corinth 6:11 you were washed you were sanctified. in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ.
Lord, Make it so!

( The picture above is NOT of our apartment shower, but of the hotel where I lived the first week.  Hotel was quite nice, but I am thrilled to have any shower.)

No comments:

Post a Comment