Tuesday, January 29, 2013

What we Take for Granted...

In the USA, where I usually reside, we take a LOT for granted.  I cannot recall a time when my parents home, and our home, hasn't had a clothes washing machine.  We have had an automatic dish washer for many, many years.  We expect elevators to be available and to always work.  We in the USA expect never to wait in line for more than 4-5 min.  We expect a lot, and usually we get it.

We very easily forget, or never realize in the first place, that many of these expectations don't exist in the rest of the world.  Botswana is impressive.  So far, I have seen good roads, potable water right out of the faucet, a nice UB campus with plenty of new, high-quality, construction.  There are many nice homes, and construction is on-going.

But we forget those things so common in life.  Here's a few things I have taken for granted, that I NEWLY appreciate:

  • Being able to drive myself around, independent of others.
  • Knowing where things are.
  • Driving on the right (as opposed to the left).
  • Being confident of culture, language, belonging.
  • A/c and heat.
  • Curtains, pots, pans, plates, forks... well you get it. 
  • Clothes washer.
  • Lots of friends only a phone call away.

G^d has Blessed us richly.  We ought NOT take things, great or small for granted.  We ought to thank G^d every day for his abundance, and most of all for his Salvation.

Lord, may I live a life that expresses gratitude to you for ALL you give and do.  AMEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment