Monday, January 28, 2013

Where Am I, LA?



I am surprised at how much this part of Botswana reminds me of LA.  LA can mean several things:
  • Los Angles
  • Lower Alabama
  • Louisiana
  • Latin America.
In this case, I mean Latin America.  Flying in to Gaborone I was struck by how green it was and how much water I saw in NW part of South Africa.  As I am beginning to move around the similarity of the University campus, and the town, and the flora, all correspond with sights in Costa Rica, Peru, Venezuela, Nicaragua, and other LA locales.  I noticed a mimosa/locust type tree with red flowers that looks just like some they have in Costa Rica.

There are some key differences that might be mitigated over time.  The housing here seems very good everywhere I have seen.  The roads are good, the drivers not any more aggressive than in the USA.  Cleanliness here, around the campus and streets is remarkable.  I have only picked up a few pieces of trash in my four days walking around the campus.
So far, it has rained every day but one.  It is warm, even hot at times, and the humidity is higher than I expected.
It seems that we only assess things relative to something else.  This is nicer, cheaper, cooler, than that.  I guess that is the way by which we understand things.
I guess everything can be compared to something else, except G^d.  No, My G^d is not bigger, faster, stronger than yours.  No, my G^d (and I do hesitate to use the possessive) is the ONLY, and so there can be no comparison.
·  Isa. 6:3: They called out to one another, "Holy, holy, holy is the Lord who commands armies! His majestic splendor fills the entire earth!"
·  Isa. 40:13: Who comprehends the mind of the LORD, or gives him instruction as his counselor?
·  Jerem. 10:12: The LORD is the one who by his power made the earth. He is the one who by his wisdom established the world. And by his understanding he spread out the skies.
·  Rom 11:33: Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how fathomless his ways!
Yes, NO comparison!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Dad, I am really enjoying your posts. It looks like Central America from your pictures, but like you said, a bit nicer. Hope you and mom are having a blast!

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete