Friday, January 18, 2013

Why go to Botswana?

We have tried not to mention our move to Botswana too much among our friends.  Travel info seems get old rather quickly.  It does need to be discussed at times, so when we do, there are two questions raised:

  1. Why go to Botswana?
  2. Where the heck is Botswana?

The second Q is easier than the first.  Botswana lies to the NW of the country of South Africa, between Namibia and Zimbabwe.  We are in Gaborone, North-West of Johannesburg and Pretoria.  It has just over 2 million people and is one of the LEAST densely populated countries in the world.  It is chiefly known for diamond production, which is 50% government-owed, and 50% private.  It has been described as, "The most stable government in Africa."  I hope that is not some sort of jinx.

Why go to Botswana?  Lots of reasons:

  • Beautiful place to visit.
  • #3 in world (by some ratings) in wildlife
  • Okavango Delta
  • Fulbright Fellowship
  • Chance to learn new stuff
  • Chance to meet new, interesting people
  • Opportunity to see southern Africa
  • Chance to teach some classes in a new venue with a new culture

Will you do ministry there?, some ask.

I am ashamed they would have to ask.  My job is to teach and do research.  My desire is to have an eternal impact for our L^rd, Jesus the Christ.  Prayers appreciated.


2 comments:

  1. I am so rooted, it's hard for me to be talked into goin' to town. And you, it seems, are always on the move...yet we are both God's creatures, doing His work, living our lives. If He told me to go to South Africa?

    I guess I'd go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, G^d chose to make us different, and that variety is what gives the Church great depth, in my view.

      Delete