Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Not-so-Innocents Abroad

I am not certain as to how many times I have left the USA.  It is a lot of trips over the years.  Many times I have traveled with groups.  Initially it was mostly with a flight crew.  On occasion I have traveled with different groups of missionaries.  These trips are typically low stress.

Over the last 25 years or so, I have traveled abroad alone on many occasions, and with Brenda on quite a few.  In my experience, traveling alone, or only with Brenda, is much more stressful than traveling with others.  I recall the stress of leaving for Sweden, the greater stress of leaving for Mongolia.  Now I am already feeling the stress of heading for Botswana.  Right before I leave, I ask myself, why did I get involved in this?

Staying home is comfortable, it is relatively safe, and it is low stress.  Why not just stay at home?  I have had a couple of people ask that question.

Here is some of the answer:
  • Leaving home is a chance to learn
  • Leaving home is a chance to grow
  • Leaving home is a chance to meet brothers and sisters in Christ I wouldn't otherwise.
  • Leaving home means I will trust G^d more than I would in a calmer situation.
  • Leaving home means I will experience stress that will cause me to Grow in Christ, and to realize how nice low-stress really is.

So we venture forth on another adventure, trusting that G^d will mold us, G^d will change us.  I pray that we will be conformed to the Image of the Christ.

"For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brethren."  Rom 8:29.

No comments:

Post a Comment