Thursday, January 3, 2013

Bad Investments in a Strong Market

My wife and I have steadily invested in the US stock market for many years.  Consequently, we have made some money.  Historically, over the long term, the US stock market has been a steady winner.  The perennial question is, how will it do in the future.

All investments carry risk, and the rule in investing is, the greater the potential payoff, the greater the risk.  But that doesn't apply at all to other investments.

When I look around, I see lots of people, including Christians, and including me, making a HEAVY investment in a proposition doomed to failure.  It is perplexing to me why I, and we, do it; but we do it nevertheless.

Most everyone I know is investing almost all their resources in pursuit of life, liberty, and happiness.  And it is 100% GUARANTEED that all will be LOST!

Who do I make such a foolish investment?  Perhaps the word "fool-ish" is a tip-off.

Matt 6:19, "Lay not up for yourselves treasure on earth...".

Matt 16:25, "For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it; but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it."

Matt. 5:11, "Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me."

What did you say G^d?  Did I hear you correctly?  You mean planning, hoping, working to have a good income, good resources, good everything is a bad investment?  I thought hard work was next to G^dliness?

Let's just change the subject.  I've got lots of work to do...

No comments:

Post a Comment