Monday, February 20, 2012

An Equine Biomechanist?

Today I met a DVM who is an expert in the physics of horses.  He was invited here to give a talk on the newest methods he and his colleagues had developed for detecting lameness in horses (I thought of Dr. Joy L.).

Sounds kind of lame, eh?

It turns out to be quite interesting.

He was very personable, which always makes everything more pleasant.  So, seeing an opening, I did what I usually do, I asked a TON of questions:

  • 1)      Does fatigue impact traumatic lameness in horses?
  • 2)      Are sensors on the head more sensitive at detection than those on the withers?
  • 3)      Can you pinpoint the site of the injury from the data?
  • 4)      And,  a bunch more.




In fact, I sorta felt like I got my own private seminar, and I am not that interested in horses.  What I am interested in is people, and physiology, and taking advantage of a few hours with one of the world’s foremost experts on HORSE biomechanics! 

Asking questions is an acquired skill. I have done my best to teach our kids to ask good questions.  My favorite example is the time in Corning, NY visiting the glass factory.  A guy gave a great 30-min canned presentation on glass blowing.  When it was over, everyone filed out…except us.  We began asking questions, and the guy talked for another 20-25 minutes, giving us our own personal seminar.

Jesus was particularly good at asking questions.  If I want to be more like him, then I have to learn to do the same…
  • ·         What do you think? 
  • ·         Why? 
  • ·         What tips do you have for learning to ask questions? 
  • ·         What distinguishes a good question?
  • ·         What do you do when…?

1 comment: