Friday, February 10, 2012

Work



I am extremely fortunate to have a very challenging, rewarding, fulfilling job.  Here I share an office with:
  • a Kiwi (NZ), 
  • a Quebecois, 
  • an Austrian, 
  • Steve from Utah, 
  • Sarah from Montana.  


We have others from Norway, England, and some folks I haven't met.  When work is so interesting, it is tempting to become totally absorbed in your work.



"Just because you don't take an interest in politics, it doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you."  Pericles, 430 BC

“If you take too much interest in work, work will take too much interest in you.” Phil B.

I have a second threat.  I can work almost anywhere almost any time.  I am working on a proposal for a trade book.  On this 19-hour trip, I have almost completed it, which includes four chapters (these will be short- about 1000 words).

But work is fleeting.  Here in Sweden the work looms bigger with fewer distractions.  But there is NO permanent gain in work, it is a labor with a perishable reward.

With few exceptions, I think what someone told me is true, "Leaving your job is like removing your hand from inside a bucket of water.  You will not leave much of a void."  

No comments:

Post a Comment