Thursday, February 9, 2012

Trash




Some of you may know that I pick up trash regularly on campus and for any church including the Islamic Center.  When I came to Sweden, I expected to become unemployed trash-wise.  Not so!



I was in Sweden 15 or so years ago and remember it as pristine.  In fact my experience is that the Swedes are the most health and safety conscious of any country of the world.  The shower even has a small latch to make sure you don’t accidentally get the water too hot!

So, I have picked up trash on my walk to and from work each day.  Here’s some things I have learned:
  • Anyone can do it.
  • It is humble service.
  • You can only pick up the trash in your path- otherwise it’s overwhelming.
  • No one is too eager to join in and help.
  • Some folks will commend your ecological sensitivity, but still not join in.
  • The best way to get someone involved is, when they spend time seeing you do it, a few will take up the habit.

See, in many ways picking up trash is like Christianity!




No comments:

Post a Comment