Wednesday, February 8, 2012

I ain’t from around here



This morning I left home at 0727 for the 30-minute walk to work.  Before I left the driveway I spotted small deer tracks, which got me excited.  The trip downhill was otherwise uneventful, until I got to the footbridge across the lake.

There I discovered that I was just one of a vast throng of walking commuters.  There was a steady stream of people of all working ages heading across from Froson to Ostersund.  I noticed everyone kept to the right, so I joined them.  A minute later, a bike whizzed by to my left, then another and another.  Yes, they ride bikes over the packed snow and even up some pretty steep hills.

Like in many big cities, people on the street seem to avoid eye contact and don’t speak.  I ain’t from around here, so I smile and nod at anyone looking my way.  In a very pleasant variance from US custom, here auto drivers must stop for pedestrians crossing streets.  Each time a driver stops for me, I give the driver a casual, but obvious, salute.



Coming down our hill this morning, I reflexively spoke to a stranger, and he responded with a friendly “hej” (hello).  I think I’ll start speaking to more strangers.  Maybe I can make a small impact.

Like I said, I ain’t from around here.

3 comments:

  1. Are you warm or cold during your walk? Just curious...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the first trip walking it was about -20 C, or so. So my fingers were a bit cold. We brought good clothes, so we have been fine.

      Since that first trip, it warmed up to -8 C or so, and has been very comfortable, even enjoyable.

      Go figure!

      Delete
  2. I love hearing about your journey! My kids are enjoying the snow pics along with me. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete