Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Taking Blessings for Granted


Being new, and not sure about running on snow, I decided to run on the treadmill.  Besides I was testing some special clothing, and needed to sweat a bit, and I figured it would be easier to sweat inside.

 


Bad idea alert!

I have some friends in the USA who run on treadmills regularly.  I see folks in the Aquatic Center Weight room at UA running on the mill.  Not for me!




On three occasions I ran 20 min at 12 km/hr (just under a 9 min pace).  During that time I:
  • ·         I guess I looked at my watch every two minutes. 
  • ·         I counted to 40 in Swedish. 
  • ·         I rehearsed the few Swedish phrases I know.
  • ·         I counted my steps in 30 seconds, messed up and did it again and again (46 leg cycles in 30 sec).
  • ·         I prayed.
  • ·         I tried to read the sign in front of the treadmill, and got about 4 words total.
  • ·         I tried to think of some ways to distract myself - to no avail.
So, being desperate I went for a run outside.
Wow, what a difference!! Now I:
·         Explored town north, south, and east of campus (we live to west).
·         Saw how people live here in the suburbs.
·         Saw school kids playing in the snow.
·         Saw a lady of about 80 riding her “spark” down the street.
·         Saw tons of snow shovels.
·         Saw some a couple of small forests of pines.
·         Finished a 40-min run looking at my watch maybe 4 times (once I get the route down, I can do this less).
·         Loved it!!


 

Sometimes we don’t appreciate the little things, like being outside.  
L^rd let me never take the out of doors for granted!

The end.

1 comment:

  1. I started worrying when I read that you had gotten so desperate you started praying. :-)

    ReplyDelete