Sunday, February 3, 2013

Confessions of a Coward

In Botswana I expect to discover many things.  One thing I have already discovered is, I am a coward.   William Shakespeare: Act 1, Scene 2, Line 32 of "Julius Caesar", has this quote from
Caesar, "Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant never taste of death but once."

Here are some of my more embarrassing deaths in the last week:

  • I discovered the door to my hotel room partly opened, and assumed an intruder.
  • For about 45 secs., I couldn't find my key papers, including my passport and assumed they were stolen.
  • I have thought I lost my wallet, or passport, or something, on numerous occasions.

Each time, my blood pressure goes up, my heart beats wildly, and then I realize there is nothing to the fear.

The point is that my fear is damaging me.   I have long known the commandment in Scripture to "Fear not!"  I have even done a few brave things (suing your employer might be foolish or brave I guess), but I really need to Fear G^d only.  The Fear of the L^rd is the beginning of wisdom.

L^Ord, take away my fear, and increase my fear of YOU alone!

1 comment:

  1. I can kind of relate. I remember getting scared in similar scenarios in Costa Rica. Now I find myself being afraid of stuff for my son. It seems every day I forget that it's all out of my control anyway. I hope all of us grow in our fear of the Lord above all else!

    ReplyDelete