Saturday, February 23, 2013

UBots Students



I have an NEW teaching experience.   I have 184 students on the roll in my Tests and Measurements class.  It can be near-chaos at times.  The students can get very quiet, and they all can get very noisy.  I have never been LESS in control of a class than this.

Botswana has a terrific concept of  Higher Ed-- it's free to all.   This has positives and negatives.  It could lead to a highly-educated populace; or not.  Perhaps it is noteworthy that Sweden has had the same system...until just now.   I suspect that Botswana is one of the few countries left with free Higher-Ed.

Let me tell you, it is an enormous challenge to try to teach basic statistics to anyone.  Tests and Measurements is a required course.  Those in teaching know what that means.  I have some very good students in this class who will do very well.  I also have some other students.

On the other hand, I also teach a class of 20 very sharp students in an Exercise Physiology II class. It is optional and perceived to be hard, which may explain the smaller class size.   Thus far I have been very impressed with the strong foundation of these folks.

I suspect this is a metaphor for Christianity.  Some folks are here because of compulsion, others are involved because they want to be; they see the value.  One group may be there rather begrudgingly, one group is there with joy.

I guess the key Christian question is,  which group am I in?


No comments:

Post a Comment