Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Free to Obey




One of my best Christian friends and I have had a long and hard disagreement.  My friend is hostile towards the Law, particularly the Foundational Testament (most call Old Testament, but I think that leads us the wrong way) law.  He puts great emphasis on the Christian Testament (I eschew use of New for a book written over 2000 years ago) passages alluding to being no longer “under” the law.

And, on this point, I totally agree.  We are no longer UNDER the law.  Paul talks about this in Romans, and I think we misunderstand these passages.  But that does NOT mean the law is gone, or useless. 

There should be NO doubt that we are NOT under the law, but under grace.  Which I think is crucial.  We have been given, as a gift, unearned, a great treasure of MERCY and GRACE.  When we realize that G^d gave us these gifts at GREAT COST to Himself, it should stir immense gratitude.  And when I feel great gratitude, I am compelled to express that gratitude somehow.



What to do?   I could write a thank you note or email.  I guess I could buy a thank-you gift.  But this somehow seems inadequate.  Perhaps G^d himself has advised us on how to show Him gratitude.  Hmm, maybe He has said something about obedience.  Maybe he said something about keeping His commandments.

Perhaps, perhaps, we ought NOT to be looking for the minimal obedience towards the minimum set of laws.  Perhaps we ought to be so excited about obedience that we are constantly looking for ways to be MORE OBEDIENT.  Perhaps.
I have blogged this topic before, it seems familiar.  Perhaps it bears repeating.  Perhaps.


No comments:

Post a Comment