Monday, April 15, 2013

Happy Tax Day!

I trust for all of you, like Homer Simpson, filed your taxes over a year ago! 

For the last two years, we have had to file from outside of the USA.  It isn't too hard because I use an online tax filing system for both Federal and State taxes.  The biggest hassle is to try to get our W2s and other stuff, because we don't get mail delivery here.

Like some of you, we paid a record amount of tax this year.  Brenda was appalled.  Yet, we are happy to pay our fair share to keep the country safe and running reasonably smoothly.

In Sweden and in Botswana, the practical aspect of economics is a mystery.  My friends in Sweden felt that they were paying a very high tax rate.  But, when you total Federal state, property, sales tax, along with medicare and social security, we pay a pretty high tax rate, plus unlike Sweden, we have been spared "free" medical care.  A wise person once said, "If you think medical care is expensive now, just wait and see what it costs when it is 'free'".  Wise words indeed.

What amazes me is how well the Batswana and Swedes seem to live in view of what I know about incomes.  Very nice autos are visible here. I'd say these cars, on average are better than the average car in the USA.  The Swedish autos weren't remarkable, but many Swedes own vacation homes, and it seems that most take pretty elaborate holiday trips around the world.





There are some very nice homes here in Gaborone.  Most folks seem to sport very nice cell phones, much nicer than my $30 Nokia.

I am reminded of an old memory verse.  "Lay not up for yourselves treasures on earth... but rather lay up treasures in heaven."  So, my problem (one of many you will note) is that I focus too much on cars, and cell phones and taxes.  If I were smart, I'd be much more worried about treasures in heaven, "... where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal".

Now if I could just live up to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment