Saturday, April 27, 2013

I Envy those Birds

One of my favorite films is an old one called, Jeremiah Johnson.  In one scene Jeremiah is talking to another trapper.  They look up and see an eagle overhead.  Jeremiah remarks,"Hawk. Goin' for the Musselshell. Take me a week's ridin', and he'll be there in... hell, he's there already."


I think about that quote sometimes when I am hiking through the woods, up and down hills.  But those birds, hell, they're there already.

Birds are really neat.  They have hollow bones.  Woodpeckers have this elaborate tongue anatomy to allow them to fish out insects.  Waterfowl can endure freezing cold, in cold water, and seem oblivious to all this cold. And, the big one, most birds can fly!

One of my all time favorite verses, and that of my good friend Bobby McPherson, is Isa 40:31, "But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint."

I really want to do that, to mount up like eagles.  I guess that means I better get to waiting upon the L^rd, in the way that "waiters" wait tables.

Wow, that will be one glorious day!

No comments:

Post a Comment