Thursday, April 18, 2013

Speak the Language

“A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spend doing nothing.”  GB Shaw

In traveling around the world, I have endeavored to learn always a few simple words/phrases in the local language.  In fact, I would say the best thing I have done culturally is to attempt to say some things in Tswana.

I still know very little.  The letter combinations are tough for those of us encountering them for the first time.  I get by with these:
  • Hello sir/mam.
  • How are you?
  • I am fine.
  • I am happy to be here.
  • Stay well.
  • Go well.
  • Bye.
  • Please.
  • Yes sir/mam
  • And rarely, No sir/mam.

I wanted to learn "excuse me", which I found to be a very useful phrase in Swedish, but here no one seems to say that.  I find that interesting.

I try to practice Tswana as often as i can, and I find most Batswana are helpful.  I do run into a few folks who ignore Tswana, or who pretend they have NO idea what I am saying or trying to say.

I ran into the same several years ago.  I was traveling to Cuba with a Spanish prof and and Mexican professor of Biology.  The Biology prof was very helpful and encouraging, the Spanish prof was very discouraging, regarding my speaking Spanish.  Go figure.

But here's what most of us know, we need to do the best we can, when we can, with what G^d has given us.  We HAVE to do what is right, whether or not  we get encouragement or support.

And, most people appreciate that.

(Above is our terrific French-speaking brother from Reunion Island, Jean Paul.)


No comments:

Post a Comment