Sunday, March 3, 2013

Chow time




Our stove in our flat is essentially non-functional, but that hasn’t been much of a problem because we have eaten out quite a bit.  In the Student Cafeteria, we can buy enough food for two of us for P15.50, or just under $2.

THERE are a few choices.  You can get one starch: rice (our favorite) or pap (grits), or sometimes noodles.  You can get either beef or some very good chicken, and then another vegetable.  Our favorite vegetable is pumpkin.   At every meal there is a gravy that resembles beef stew only a bit redder.  I have tried it a couple of times, but I think Brenda likes it better than I do.  For beverage there is a mixed-flavor juice that tastes most strongly of mango.  Afterwards there is very cold water.

We recently had a local lady (actually Kenyan) in our home.  Brenda offered her tea, but she just wanted a cup of hot water.  This was the second time I have seen this, the first time was last fall in Mongolia.

A friend told us yesterday of a lady he knows who thinks shrimp are the cockroaches of the sea, and turns up her nose at them.  On the other hand, she eats Mopani worms with gusto!   I’ll try some, when the opportunity presents, and agree that shrimp are not Kosher.

Speaking of Kosher, I always figured if anyone in the Universe understood the human diet, it would be our creator.  Consequently, when He proscribes certain food, I figure HE knows whereof He speaks.

Of course, if I really wanted to be consistent with that thought…. I’d be universally and consistently obedient. 

Well, at least I have made a start.  L^rd keep us from sin.


No comments:

Post a Comment