Friday, March 1, 2013

Advanced Hand Laundering for Beginners

Our dear friend, Damon, offered Brenda the use of his commercial hand-washing device.  This device looks a bit like this one:





 

Although we appreciated his willingness to sacrifice, the lack of space and weight allowance made it impossible.  Damon swears by it and there are some good reviews on the WWW.

Well, having tried washing clothes in the sink (see previous blog) we were ready to move forward a bit.  Having seen pictures of Damon's device, I decided to see what I could devise.  I found the following items in the trash:
  • Discarded mop w handle
  • Plastic drinking container which held about 4 liters.
  • 2 2-L plastic coke bottles
  • 2 screws I brought from USA.

After a bit of cutting, this is what I had as a first try:


I figure it works by forcing water through the fabric.  Although it is manual, it should, hypothetically, be more effective at this than automatic washers.  Of course it has no rinse or spin cycles, but that part is relatively easier than the washing part.  The water at the end is pretty dirty.  I don't see the wash water leaving our washing machine at home, but this water is pretty impressive.




Note the dirty water!!  Getting dirt from somewhere.

I get great joy out of making something  useful out of rubbish.  I guess that is one of the few characteristics I share with OUR MAKER, the L^rd G^d!


Here's the final version. 

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I have just the same feelings about re-using or mending stuff that is broken, discarded or seen as rubbish. I haven't realized it is God-like before, but you are absolutely right!
    Your way of thinking is very often eye-opening!!! I love you, brother.
    Thank you,Phil for sharing your life and thoughts with us!
    Right now heavy snow-fall, strong wind and 3 centigrades below zero :-)

    ReplyDelete