Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Duck Hunting vs Deer Hunting





Keeping the law here is a challenge.  I am interested in abiding by the Laws of Botswana, as I think that is both Scriptural and safest.  My key problem is that I have a bit of trouble figuring out the laws.

There is a saying in among Game Wardens in the USA.  “You can break more game laws in one hour of duck hunting, than you can in a year of Deer hunting.”  There are so many laws regarding the migratory ducks, that it is easy to break a slew of them in a few minutes.  I don’t know about the law in Botswana, so I have no idea how easy they are to break.  From what I have seen, enforcement is not overly rigorous.


 (Above is an eagle watching the lake and some of the many waterfowl of Gabs Game Reserve.)

Many traffic lights here do not work.  This can be for a couple of reasons.  Some are so new, they have not yet been activated.  Others usually function, it’s just that when power is off in a section of Gaborone, then the lights aren’t going to operate.   There are also stop signs in many locations.  Some of these make perfect sense, others seem to be a suggestion rather than a law, and others just seem to be placed almost randomly.

I have noticed too that most drivers feel pretty comfortable ignoring some stop signs (but not others) and aren’t too interested in totally stopping for non-operational traffic lights.  Drivers here seem pretty courteous, and with a few exceptions, pretty careful.

But I’m still unsure of turning left on red, and lots of other small things.  I want to obey most laws, I just don’t know.  In contrast, I have a pretty good grasp of G^d’s law, He has gone to some trouble to make these crystal clear.  It’s just I am not so interested in obeying some of these.  Not sure why I am so foolish, so unreasonable, so reluctant, but I am.  Perhaps I am not walking in the Spirit?

Yep, I bet that’s it.  The fruit of the Spirit, love, joy peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control, is never against the law.  And, as the pastor said, there is never a complaint it we “over-do” these fruit.




No comments:

Post a Comment