Saturday, March 9, 2013

Storms of Life







One of my favorite stories is in Mark 4, at the end of the chapter, right after the sermon in the boat, by the seashore.  When the sun had set, Jesus says, “Let’s go over to the other side…”, then promptly falls asleep.  Then these guys, several of whom are professional fishermen, encounter and storm, and think that, instead of going “over to the other side…”, they are about to go to the bottom of the lake.   Jesus summarizes their actions by saying, “How is it that you have NO faith?”

I like it, because I have been there too, there with no faith.  I can relate.

In the month I have been here, I have gained a whole new appreciation for what that “storm” might have felt like.  On at least three occasions we have had terrific wind and rain.  We live on the third floor, which means that our good view fails to slow the wind in the least.  For each storm I have had to scramble to close our windows and patio door so that the rain can’t wet the whole place.  Across from my office is a display board, about 0.75m by 0.9m.  I noticed Saturday AM, that the glass was broken and reported it to security.  The kind security officer gently advised me that the wind had broken the glass, and that he wasn’t surprised.

Some wind, eh?

Of course the real storm that is illustrated best in Mark 4, is the storm of circumstance.  I have on one occasion run 102 miles (161+km), and on several occasions run 50 miles (80 km); yet moving here was one of the stormiest things I have done.   Being here, alone, with a bare-empty apartment, no means of transport, no knowledge of who, what, when or where, and my dear sweet wife coming soon…  I felt that I was indeed perishing (Mk 4:38).

So I ask myself, how is it that I have no faith?


No comments:

Post a Comment