Friday, March 15, 2013

Wheels

My dad bought me my first auto when I turned 16.  I got a car because my mother never drove, and my older brother was off at USNA.  He bought me a Pontiac Tempest, and I really was proud of that little car.

The individualistic US culture is pretty tightly bound to the private auto, for the most part.  Brenda and I have had as many as 4 vehicles, for only two drivers.  We presently have 3 back home, and we JUST bought one here in Botswana.

Some of my friends give me grief for having old vehicles, but that is my preference.  I get NO sense of identity from any auto.  I buy a car to do a function, not to make any statement.  Soooooo, we bought a 1999 Toyota Gaia from a lady at church leaving to join her family in S Africa.

That's not our car, but you won't know that will you?  Our car looks a lot like that one, anyway.

We feel MUCH better now that we can get around.  It is possible to live in Gabs without a car, but it sure does make life simpler and easier.

Cars are a big part of life at home and here.  I am reminded of that verse in Ps 20:7,  "Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the LORD our God."

G^d is the only One truly worthy of our trust ever!

1 comment:

  1. Have been reading Kathleen Norris recently. In Acedia & Me she quotes Thomas Merton as having said something to the effect that in the modern world you're free to have a car in any style or color that you choose, but you aren't free not to own a car. I'd certainly like it better if I were free not to own a car.

    ReplyDelete