Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Don’t Struggle Alone





Though my memory of those days is rapidly fading, the first couple of weeks in Botswana were really tough. Brenda had not arrived, things weren’t going all that well, my big class was hot, noisy and the students seemed largely disinterested.  I was struggling.

Today I am reminded during the sermon that we OUGHT NOT struggle alone.  We forget it, but we are part of a body, a body of Believers.  During my darkest days, I was never alone.  G^d was clearly with me, and so were many of you.  I asked for prayer, and many people prayed.


But this is just a small part of what G^d intended.  G^d created the church for several purposes.  In the Body of Christ which is the church, there are many opportunities to:
encourage, discourage, 
counsel, comfort, 
teach, learn,
enjoy, annoy.

We are told in Scripture NOT ot forsake assembling together, not matter what may be on tv.

We are told to serve one another.  And this is where some get a bit confused.  We confuse serving one another in our church meetings, with ministering ion the world.  We assemble, in part, to prepare to witness, serve, teach, etc. OUT THERE, outside the confines of the Church.  Assemble then GO to all the world.

Come, fellowship, BUT Don't stay, go.


Add


2 comments:

  1. I've had to hold on to that verse about not forsaking the assembling together. Many times since we've moved to South Carolina I've wanted to give up finding a church. There just didn't seem to be any good options at all and staying home and doing our own thing seemed like the best thing for us to do. We held on to this verse, though, and kept looking. We were also convicted about not looking for a church saying "what can they do for us" but rather "what can we (through God's help) do to minister here?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tina, Thanks and especially for that last bit. Several years ago I was talking to someone that you know who had moved away and was looking for a congregation. She asked me, "How do you pick a church (congregation)?"

    We discussed the usual consumerist approach. Then we discussed the important question, "Where does G^d want us?" We discussed that perhaps it is more about what we give to a congregation than what we get from them.

    So thanks for saying it, and much more succinctly than I did.

    ReplyDelete