Saturday, March 30, 2013

Taking out the Trash




As many of you know, I have a calling from G^d to pick up trash in my path, wherever my path may lead.  So I have picked up trash in lots of places around the world, now including Botswana.  In some ways I am surprised that there isn't too much trash here.  In some ways, I am shocked that there is so much trash which seems so unnecessary.


The UB campus is nicely landscaped, with some very nice buildings, and new ones going up as we speak.  The grounds crew faithfully sweeps the grounds anywhere there is no grass.  But, folks seem to ignore all this and drop their trash wherever they happen to be, without thought.

I get strange looks when I pick up the trash, but I do it anyway.  Admittedly, it is a bit strange, but admittedly, if a few more people joined it, it would be a cleaner, brighter, world.  The problem seems to be a lack of taking responsibility.  Why should I clean up the world?

I'll admit, picking up trash seems a futile undertaking, and it certainly is not the most pleasant ministry.  But, nevertheless I count on these and other Scriptures to keep me going:

1 Samuel 15:22 And Samuel said, “Has the LORD as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the LORD? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to listen than the fat of rams.
John 15:14 “If you love me, you will keep my commandments.” (Jesus’ speaking)

No comments:

Post a Comment