Friday, March 8, 2013

It's a Small World After All



Although we live in Africa, there are a lot of coincidences in the small flat world in which we live.  
Just tonight, after supper at the student dining hall, we struck up a conversation with two American-looking girls.  The first was Anna from Aurora, CO.  The second was Katelyn from……..  Oak Mountain, Birmingham, AL!!!  Katelyn is about to transfer from U of N TX to UA, by way of UB!  In fact, she will be in my college, the College of Education.

Last week I was talking on Email with an old professional Acquaintance, Dr. Michael S.  I knew Michael because he was a scientist working in protective clothing for the Army at the US Army Institute of environmental Medicine in Natick, MA. I had visited his lab many years back and I knew him from professional meetings.  Turns out, Mike had relocated to “Atlanta”.  I asked him where, and he said, “Actually, it’s Canton, GA”—which is mine and Brenda’s town of birth!
We ran into Francis at the Navigators meeting Saturday and again at Church on Sunday.  Francis was good friends with Barry and Karen McG, when they worked in Zimbabwe.

Below is Sam M. who I met at the Gaborone Sun Swimming pool.  After a short conversation we discovered that Sam attended UA Business school in 1989.

I have always made it a habit to ask people, if they looked like someone I might know, or if there was some possible connection.  In Jerusalem once, I boarded an elevator with a guy already on and said to him, “Anyone ever told you that you look just like Doug Matthews?”  He replied, “yes, because I am Dough Matthews.”

We sometimes get confused regarding bigness.  G^D is big, relative to Him, nothing is big.  There are now some 4 billion people in the world.  G^d knows them all by name!

Not a sparrow falls without Him knowing.

What a mighty G^d we serve!



1 comment:

  1. Back in the 70's, a man from Ellijay in the carpet business was in New York city at a convention. He was standing at Times Square, waiting to cross the street. Someone tapped him on the shoulder and said, "Aren't you from Ellijay?" Small world!

    ReplyDelete